Saturday, August 12, 2006

the soul of the wine...

...sang by night in its bottles: 'dear mankind -
dear and disinherited! break the seal
of scarlet wax that darkens my glass jail,
and I shall bring you light and brotherhood!

how long you labored on the fiery hills
among the needful vines! I know it cost
fanatic toil to make me what I am,
and I shall not be thankless or malign:

I take a potent pleasure when I pour
down the gullet of a workingman,
and how much more I relish burial
in his hot belly than in my cold vaults!

Listen to my music after hours,
the hope that quickens in my throbbing heart;
lean on the table with your sleeves rolled up
and honor me: you will know happiness,

for I shall bring a gleam to your wife's eyes,
a glow of power to your son's wan cheeks
and for this athlete flagging in the race
shall be the oil that strengthens wrestlers' limbs.

into you I will flow, ambrosia brewed
from precious seed the eternal sower cast,
so that the poetry born of our love will grow
and blossom like a flower in his sight!'

No comments: